Wednesday, January 14, 2009

There's No Place Like Home

My real job has been a little challenging lately and I find myself considering working at the wine bar full time more and more. Luckily, Melita and Reagan are both angels, so when I get home I literally can forget what stupid thing happened during the day and just enjoy my two favorite people.

Melita is almost walking. After successfully crawling and then pulling up on everything, she is now using the furniture (or whatever else she can find) to cruise around. She is getting more and more adventurous about testing her limits (read: boundaries) and everyday I fear she will figure out how to 'climb' out of the crib rather than just fall out.

We hit a snag the last week or so in what I thought was such a perfectly smooth routine. Melita hasn't been eating as easily (she would rather feed herself) and getting her to drink her formula has been next to impossible unless she was headed off to sleep (again she wants to do it herself but she lacks the understanding about tipping her head back to get the milk from the bottle). For the last month or so we have been indulging her in 'snack time' with Baby Mum Mums and juice in her sippy cup. Which is probably why she wants to do everything herself now.

Tonight it all paid off! She had her first 'table food' for dinner: semi-smashed sweet potatoes and steamed carrots and broccoli. She had fun feeding herself and for the first time I felt like a real family with the three of us sitting down to dinner together. As an end to a great dining experience, Melita figured out how to drink from her bottle while sitting up!

3 comments:

The Buchanans said...

Looks like you have a Mensa baby too!

Hope work gets better for you!

Unknown said...

Man, ALL these pictures are great! I love the one with Reagan and Melita.

Bethany said...

More independance is good and bad -- but man, feeding themselves is awesome. Sure the cleanup sucks, but eating your dinner while it's warm is so sweet!